Leadership Blind Spots and How to Reveal Them
Posted by Colin McAllister
A large part of supporting clients in an executive coaching engagement is to help them uncover any limiting beliefs or leadership blind spots that are holding them back from their highest potential and the greatest level of contentment. Below are five that we see commonly with executive leaders and business owners.
- Lack of vulnerability – afraid to tell others you need help
- Failure to consider other’s emotions, lack of empathy
- Adding to much value, I know it all – big ego, arrogant
- Unwillingness to let go of control – lack of empowerment and trust
- Perfectionism – holding others to unreasonable standards, impatient, judgemental
BONUS: Indecisiveness – failure to make critical decisions, procrastination, lack of commitment and demonstration of confidence.
Any one of these has the power to derail an otherwise successful career or relationship if left unchecked. The fact is they seldom travel alone.
The good news it is easy to reveal these – but it takes courage, humility and openness to leadership development for yourself.
Either on your own or preferably with the support of an unbiased 3rd party (executive coach etc) enlist at least 8 people you trust and respect for input. Ask these folks the following 5 questions:
- What are your strengths? What is it that you’ve done that allowed you to succeed to date?
- What do people perceive as your core values? Do they align with the values you want people to see?
- What environment do you shine (doing what, with whom)?
- What should you do differently to achieve your vision (you have to define this first and share it)?
- What areas should you avoid (things you need to delegate and get off your plate – they bring out the worst in you)?
I have interviewed thousands of stakeholders using this method, and every time we discover blind spots that if corrected are life-changing for the client.
Key Point: Notice how we focus on the positive and the future – this is feedforward, and we are much more likely to embrace this than feedback, which is typically met with defensiveness.
The truth will set you free!If you are interested in learning more about how to uncover your blind spots to realize a more meaningful leadership career, feel free to contact us for a complimentary consult.
Feel free to follow us on social media:
LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/company/perspect-coaching
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/PerspectMC
Twitter – https://twitter.com/Perspect
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/perspectmc/
YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLeYJ7z3BVZQVwlcbVCLUWw